Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Laughing with Mort Tag


I still had the ring pull top off the Sardine tin I used for my altered sardine tin in the last post so I thought I would put it to good use as a tag. After all it was tag-shaped to start with.  I folded back the ring pull and used a pair of pliers to flatten the folded over portion. Suprisingly the edges are not sharp at all either but I thought they might be !

I then applied a piece of printed paper in a diamond pattern with multi media and once dry trimmed around the tin lid.





Next I stamped a distressed polka dot pattern in archival black ink over the paper and allowed to dry. Then I used a Versamark pen and selectively inked some of the diamonds which I then heat embossed with glossy claret embossing powder. Didn't want this embossing to be perfect looking in line with the distressed effect.  I then went around the edge of the tag with black soot Distress ink and a cut'n'dry foam applicator.





I found a piece of pink and white check paper in my bit box which I then stamped with 'Mort had a Pin Curl' from Stampotique and more archival black ink before colouring in with Copic markers.  The image of Mort was then trimmed out leaving a narrow border which again was inked with black soot Distress ink.

I then took a crown bottle cap and after lining with a circle of purple paper I put in a label in silver with the word 'Laugh'. I tipped in clear UTEE crystals and heated until molten and bubble free with the heat gun allowing this to cool completely. 

A fabric flower was coloured with matching Copic marker and distressed with more black soot Distress ink.  This was stuck to the back of the bottle top .






The tag was then embellished by sticking Mort in place as shown and applying the bottle top flower with a large sticky dot.  Some silver metallic marker was applied on some of the background dots and a length of coloured yarn tied through the ring pull to finish.

Sid xx

36 comments:

  1. Clever use of the ring pull hoped you washed it first !! Gorgeous tag and just love the image.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The image is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Mort Tag! Nice to find someone elso who also likes Stampotique Stamps and making tags. Kinda cool that you made it out of a sardine can top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking at sardine tins in a whole new light Sid :D! I love the background paper you made and I also love the Mort stamp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great re purposing! That's a cutesy but scary looking little guy. LOL Fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sid
    I foun you on other site.. I see you have another blog, Great Creations!
    Great Job Sid!
    Greetings from Puerto Rico
    -Sony
    Sonia-Studio60

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE the little puppet: amazing Tag!

    Thankx for sharing

    xx Tessa (the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant tag. I love this and the way you stamped on the checked background. Fabulous tag
    June
    PS, please feel free to drop by and get the new collage freebie i created for my friends on my Dezinaworld blog too. I hope it will be of some use to you. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mort looks very at home on this great tag.
    Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tag and use of the tin lid. I have saved a coffee tin pull to use at some time. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!! That's what I call creative!
    Very, very cute!
    Thanks also for floowing my blog...I will join your blog too, interested in more of your artwork.

    Greetings, Alie :-)
    http://aliehoogenboezem-devries-atc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sid, thank you so much for becoming a follower of my blog. I had to just come and visit you and I'm so glad I did. I love how you have transformed the bottle cap. I will have to give it ago..
    Have also became a follower of your..
    Hugs
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a clever recycle! I love it - Mort is so cute and great job distressing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous tag, thanks for the smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  15. uauu Sid,
    vou me inspirar em seu tag e fazer também!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sid inspirei-me em seu projeto:
    http://anacaldatto.blogspot.com.br/2012/03/altered-tag-com-tampa-da-lata-de.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea using the sardine can top! Funny piece of art.

    Thank you for following my blog Sid!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the tag; what a brilliant idea. Thanks for stopping by. I am now following. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's beautiful! I like colours you used. And the botlle cap - that's brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun tag and I love the eyelash yarn you used too such a great punch of color!. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful background! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tag Sid - I finally found you!
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I added you. Ya a guy. Your name is Sid so is my hubby. Hello.

    I will look around as I am a love of crafts. Your tags are awesome!

    Carol Ann. I entered mine on my blog for underwear also. Drop in. Look around.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun tag! I love hte image. Sid you could enter this im July linky challenge Have a Blessed day, DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com



    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great tag. I love your creativity. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I've also started following your blog and look forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a super great tag Sid!!!! Your creativity is phenomenal!!! Thank you for stopping by Her Craftiness today and becoming a follower!! I have also started following your blog and can't wait to see more of your creativity!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a good idea to use that ring pull - love the tag too.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a good idea to use that ring pull - love the tag too.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice and colorful Tag! I like the little monster boy. ;)
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your style! Always good to meet a gentleman crafter, you guys are unicorns!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks, Sid, for coming to my blog, which helped me be introduced to your blog and your whimsical, adorable art style. I can so identify with you in your untidy craftroom escape. I find having to put things away after each creative session just stiffles my creativity. Sometimes my inspiration comes from the mess I leave behind. I have now become a follower of your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute Image..love your ribbon and you remind me of my bottle cup again..thanks for visiting my post Sid...lovely Tag :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is fabulous. Sardine tin - who knew?

    ReplyDelete